Something Like a Lesbian

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Talk about being revictimized!

I don’t know how many of you heard about the woman who was arrested after reporting being raped. And the story just gets better after that. Even though she had been taken to a rape crisis center and prescribed Emergency Contraception, a jail worker refused to give her the second dose of the drug because it was against her morals.

What is this world coming to when a woman who has been raped is arrested for a charge from when she was a minor that she wasn’t even aware of. I’ve heard of some bad paperwork errors, but I’m pretty sure this one takes the cake. I’m so mad I can’t even see straight.

As someone who was raped, I can’t imagine it being followed by spending time in jail and then being denied contraception. How inhumane can you get? This kind of treatment is completely unacceptable not to mention unconscionable.

If you are interested in sending a letter to the Sheriff’s Office, you can click here.

What perfect example of the rape tolerance we have in this country. I mean this is real terrorism that has been going on for decades and yet we are spending gajillions of dollars fighting terror in the Middle East while women in our own boarders are jailed after reporting a most heinous act of violence.

It’s moments like this that I can’t help but see the male privilege shining through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home